Inglewood has the distinction of being Calgary’s oldest neighborhood and it is immediate across the Elbow River from Fort Calgary. The community was established in 1875 after the fort was built. It was developed by a group headed by Acheson Irvine, Major John Stewart, and James Macleod. Ninth Avenue (formerly Atlantic Avenue) was probably the first “main street” in the city. Today, the neighborhood is a shopping and arts district. It is also home to the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary, an urban wildlife refuge. Originally known as East Calgary or Brewery Flats, the community was not officially given the name Inglewood until 1911, when it was named after the nearby homestead established by Col. James Walker.